Saturday, May 9, 2009

Y.oga

First Y.oga class today. A good friend and I walk into a beautiful old re-modeled home, up a set of stairs to a mint green & white room with hardwood floors, a big screen t.v. on one wall, several windows, and two tall topi.ary plants. The instructor, D, was sitting in-between the two plants on a mat & told us where to put our mats. "Have either of you ever done y.oga?" (We shake our heads no). "Ahhhhh, y.oga v.irgins- great!" (Uh-oh, what are we in for, is what I'm thinking). She tells us some y.oga basics... not for physical fitness although we should feel better, shouldn't hurt, not about a certain religion...yada, yada.

There were 7 of us in the class, which meets every Sat. morning for 6 weeks. A couple, two older women (who can bend with the best of them), one younger girl & the two v.irgins. So, we started crossing this leg with that arm & reaching, feeling, as D said, "every movement within the body. Feels delicious, doesn't it?" Delicious? Not supposed to hurt? I found long lost muscles that shouted "leave us alone!" Maybe I woke up my lazy ovaries today! I had a different perception of y.oga... that we would all be sitting around in the meditation pose for an hour trying to train the brain to "chill out" (remember- I'm doing this on my mission to learn to really relax & try some new things) instead I'm trying to keep up with the runner, fish & cobra pose & remembering when to inhale/exhale!

Here's the problem with taking a class like this with a good friend... it's so easy to get tickled! And this is not a time to be laughing. But when we had to suck on our thumb to find a certain stomach muscle, and D told me I had beautiful hips (a.k.a. well rounded) and to just "let them go", & you lock your hands under your pelvis, and learn that our bodies "love to be upside down"... well, it's just easy to get tickled doing this with your BFF! I think we had made D a little mad by the end of the class. We did finally do some meditation-type stuff at the end of the class, but I was too tired to relax, if that even makes sense.

But here's my final thoughts- I liked it. It's like Eastern medicine meets aerobics. I have no idea if it will increase my chances of fertility but I don't see how it could hurt. At least PC enjoyed the summary of the class and asked me to demonstrate certain poses (gotta love the mind of the male)...and I needed the "just right" y.oga outfit... you know, for inspiration, so check out my cute outfit from O.ld N.avy.------- Om Shanti, friends. "Let there be peace." Learned that today too:]

2 bytes:

Chelle said...

Delicious? haha! Not exactly the word I was thinking! Glad you enjoyed it!

Heather said...

Hope you decide to go back. Yoga is great for infertility. The first class is not as relaxing as once you get used to what you are doing in class. And hip openers are fabulous for infertility and lower back problems which I always seem to get when I'm away from my yoga mat for very long.