Friday, March 16, 2012

BTW= Back to Work & By The Way

Back to Work= The "New Normal"

Wake up at 5:15 a.m.
Shower
Get Dressed
Nurse
Any baby needs- diaper change, clean paci, clean burp cloth, wash bottles
Warm up breakfast sandwich
Pack lunch, pack pump parts & bottles
Leave at 7:00 a.m.
Eat breakfast on the way
Arrive to work at 7:15
Pump at 8:30 a.m.
Pump/eat lunch at 11:30 a.m.
Pump at 2:00 p.m.
Leave at 4:00 p.m.
Arrive home at 4:15 p.m.
Change clothes, wash hands
KISS BABY
Nurse
Eat supper
Play with baby
Nurse/Supplement
Wash pump parts, wash bottles
Prepare bottles for next day
Prepare breakfast/lunch for next day
Get baby ready for bed
Get myself ready for bed
Go to bed at 9:00 p.m.
KISS PC
Nurse between 12:30- 1:00 a.m.
Nurse at 4:00 a.m. on one side, pump on the other
Sleep for one more hour
Start over!

But we're making it!  My first day back was spent in a fog... not really thinking about baby every minute, but rather trying to remember where I left off and how in the world I was going to get caught up!  I had some sweet surprises along the day... a co-worker framed a pic of me & little man for my desk, another co-worker put some "caution" tape through the room and listed all the things I have to do for a fun joke, my mom and little man sent flowers, a sweet friend sent flowers and PC had flowers waiting on me when I got home.  It reminded me that I have a good job with people I care about and such wonderful friends and family.  Blessed. 


Then, there is the pumping.  Ugh.  I close the door and put the "code" sign on it.  I work through each time, about 10 minutes total, and eat & pump so that my "lunch break" is really divided up through the day and used on pumping.  I'm getting about 3-6 ounces total for the day right now.  It is not enough to leave for the next day so I'm having to pump at night as well.  I don't know how long I can keep it up!  We are having to supplement between 4-6 ounces through the day of formula and it is what it is.  I want a full, content baby rather than insisting that he only gets breastmilk.  I'm lucky that it has even worked out this long with minimal problems and that he is still getting about 90% breastmilk!
Code for "Pumping"  :]
Sandwich with milk, lol! 

And by the way... I hope that I have always been understanding to the moms that I work with.  Because I understand so much better now how hard it is to balance both roles.  I have several 2-3 hour evening meetings coming up and the once reply of "sure, no problem" is now "how soon can we be finished?" This is a blog post in itself but let's just say I'm feeling pressure of what the job requires and getting home to this.sweet.face as soon as possible!

6 bytes:

annie said...

Isn't it exhausting?? That has been the biggest surprise for me. I can't work anymore at night b/c I fall asleep at my computer. Everyone says it gets better, we just have to hang in there. Congrats on getting through Week 1 - enjoy the weekend; they mean so much more now!

allthesunforyou said...

I remember that schedule all too well. I really admire people who can pull it off - because it is exhausting.

Are you getting 2-3 ounces per day, or per pump? Don't put too much pressure on yourself with the breastfeeding - you're doing the best you can and that's all you can hope for! It's not easy - not easy at all!

Stephanie said...

What a nice welcome back at your office, sounds like you were definitely missed. Gotta love those discrete pumping signs. :) Give yourself time to getting used to the combo of the two roles, you'll be a pro at both in no time!

Carlia said...

you are super-mom! you really are amazing, though. i'm sure that you'll adjust to the routine and it will get easier. don't feel bad about supplementing with formula. at least he's getting mostly breast milk. like you said, it's more important for him to have a full tummy. you are so blessed to have such wonderful support. i teared up when I read about all the flowers. you are surely loved and appreciated. keep it up and enjoy your weekend at home with your little family. :)

Jos said...

Ugh, that sounds like one of my days!

Are you getting that much per pump session or per day??
Try not to look at the milk ounces while you're pumping - if you're stressed about it, I swear you get less. Also, water, water, water!!!

You're doing amazing!

AS said...

Oh, the schedule. It's crazy how challenging being a working mom is! It's nice that you start work early and have a short commute so you have more time in the evening.

Would you mind (when you have a chance--maybe not even this week) sharing your thoughts with me at http://mymirababy.blogspot.com/2012/03/supplementing.html? I know you have a little baby too and you're supplementing now. I'm trying to figure out if that's a good plan for us.