Sunday, April 8, 2012

Working, Growing, Pumping, Teething... Oh My!

I have a rare moment this evening because baby boy wore himself out with all of the attention and new toys he got today and has went to sleep early.  After washing pump parts, I couldn't wait to say hello and send out an update in the blogosphere.  I am reading on my phone when I get a chance, but I have been terrible at commenting:[  I really want to make time somewhere in the schedule for blogging because it is therapy, whether it's IF or new mom related... I need this place!

Working- it is hard, and I don't want to come across like I'm whining about it since there are so many who would love to have a job these days, but I am just struggling to get enough done there where I don't have to bring it here.  This sounds crazy but I would really like to get a promotion with more pay because that would open more doors such as the possibility of PC staying home.  I feel like I could actually handle longer hours and a bigger workload if PC was able to take care of all things home and baby.  That plan would at least be 2 years in the making since we would have to attack some major debt first.    

Growing- wow, is our little guy growing!  The next update will be one for a four month old.  Craziness!  I will fill that post with updates but I can't wait to find out his weight and length this Friday at his four month check-up.  First, those crazy doctors had to do a weight follow-up visit to make sure I wasn't starving him and now they will probably tell me he's eating too much lol.  I am going to ask them about starting H. on his first food- avocados.  Here's the website I've been using the most to research about introducing solids- http://wholesomebabyfood.momtastic.com/.  I know that six months is generally regarded as a better time to introduce baby to solids but all babies are different and H. shows signs of being ready for a little something more.  I will let you all know how it goes of course!

Pumping- I'm getting ready to transition to exclusive pumping with the exception of night time feedings.  For whatever reason, H. is frustrated with the ladies.  Maybe because he gets more bottles now that I'm back at work and nursing requires more effort... not sure... but I can enjoy bonding with him just as much by looking into those baby blues and holding his hand while he takes a bottle:]  I feel grateful, especially after talking to so many friends and co-workers, that we have been able to nurse this long.  He will still get as much breastmilk as possible as long as I'm pumping and producing.

Teething- It's happening.  Already.  The biggest clue is the bulging white blistery-looking places on his bottom gum but other signs are sucking on hands (or anything), drooling everywhere, pulling at ear/scratching head, some coughing and issues with nursing/taking the pacifier.  We haven't resorted to any infant pain relievers at this point but I would love to know of any teething product recommendations!
That reminds me... someone recommended the nosefrida when I mentioned that the bulb syringes were not working for us and we could not do without it!  I have had intentions of doing a blog post just devoted to that little handy tool and haven't made the time.  If you have a little one with a stuffy nose and the bulb doesn't work... look it up and keep an open mind because it is SO worth the relief it gives to a stuffed up baby!

I'll end with the picture of our little "bunny" from today.  We had this "My First Easter" outfit for fun and another one for dressing up. 
   
 

Yesterday marked one year that I got the call from the RE's office and our lives forever changed.  It is my favorite blog post besides the day we brought our little miracle home.
  Dream.Come.True.   

9 bytes:

Lory said...

I've been following for awhile but usually I'm silent.

Hyland's Teething Gel is amazing!
I cannot say enough good things about this product.
You can use it every 15 minutes and boy did I use and reuse it on my son.
He started teething early and got his 1st tooth at 4 1/2 months.

http://www.hylands.com/products/teethinggel.php

It's all natural and completely safe for the baby.

Jos said...

Great food website link - I'll check it out some more for sure. My nephew LIVED on avocados for awhile - so delicious (and nutritious!). The one big thing I've heard and read about waiting for the 6 month mark has to do with allergies (oh, and #2 - less chance of being a picky eater). I'm curious to see what happens with your little guy.

I think Stella is teething too. Yikes!

Stephanie said...

Glad to read an update from you! I've referred to that website before too, but I might warn you...at least with Chloe we couldn't get the texture of fresh avocados smooth enough, it was a bit stringy and clumpy and she choked. You might look at sweet potatoes or something smoother to start out with, just a thought. And the nosefrida...so gross and I never thought I'd buy it, but SOO worth it!! It has nothing on the bulbs. You have the cutest little bunny. :)

AS said...

Oh my gosh, he is so cute! Good for you for working hard at work. It's good to hear from other people who have career goals; it's inspirational on the days that I just want to give up. When we went for our four month check-up, the doctor gave the go-ahead to start solids because of good head control, so that may also be the case with you. We discovered that Mira is ready to eat, but she's not really ready to digest anything but milk. I'm considering baby-lead weaning. It sounds like that might be something for you to consider too if your little guy is going for the food.

Bridget said...

we've been using Humphrey's "3" teething pellets and frozen banana slices in a mesh teether for her to chew on. I love the Easter picture!

Carlia said...

i'm so glad to see a post from you! sounds like y'all are doing great. i'm so happy for you! i hope things settle down with work and that the 4 month check-up goes well. :)

Anonymous said...

He is ADORABLE!!!!!!

Heather said...

So cute!!! Any amount of breastfeeding/pumping you were able to do is great. I was able to do 7 months with our daughter and 7 weeks with the twins. With the boys, it was not supply issues, but the fact that one needed lots of help getting latched on and the other one just wanted to be attached to the boob all the time, LOL. He was having a growth spurt and I was so tired.

Fiona said...

Just wanted to say hello and let you know how much I have enjoyed (and will continue to enjoy) reading your blog for over a year now! Your son is gorgeous!! :) Up until now I have just been a blog follower but I have just started by own blog at http://www.palmtreemama.blogspot.com/ so please feel free to check it out sometime. My little girl is just a little bit younger than your little guy. Keep up the great posts!! :)