Sunday, June 24, 2012

Vacation with a Baby

I saw one of those sayings on a F.acebook post that "going to T.arget by yourself is a vacation for mom and going on vacation is work!"  After returning from our first vacation last week, I would agree!  However, I don't think we've ever laughed so much and the time together was priceless. 

If I had advice to give to someone who is about to travel with a baby to the beach, these would be my "top 5 must haves" (in addition to the necessities of course).
1.  Baggies and shopping store bags... in the car and in the luggage... for everything... soiled diapers, bottles, trash, sunscreen... multiple uses.  Wipes too! 
2.  The pack-n-play was a real pain in the backside but we couldn't have done without it- instant changing table, bed and place to play.  This seems like it would be a "given" but I debated taking it since he ends up in the bed with us anyway.  Glad we did. 
3.  If you end up with several inflatable things like we did, take a small inflator!  We took an inflatable pool for LB to lay in on the beach under our umbrella, a beach ball, a float, etc. 

4.  Travel size things really saved us space this year.  In fact, LB had his six month check-up the day before and the pedi loaded us up on lotion, sunscreen and baby wash samples.  Yay!

5.  For the car- a bag of familiar and some toys LB hadn't seen before.  This was advice from my co-workers and I wondered how much time toys could distract with a baby wanting out of a car seat but they did help.  I went to yardsales a couple of weeks before our trip and got several things that were "new" to LB, all for under $5.  I also never wanted a portable DVD player in the car but that is one of those never say never things when it comes to long car rides for us... it kept LB distracted for 10 minute chunks of time throughout the trip so it was worth it to me.  Note to PC:  I know it was by accident that the toy bag was packed in the !$*% cargo carrier on the way home.  However, this meant mom had to be very creative and that at times all I had was lotion, a bracelet, a cup and- I digress- a m.axi pad.   
 
Last thoughts on vacation- yes, it was different... supper was rushed and eaten with a baby in one arm, no long walks on the beach at night and lots more time spent in the room than ever before.  But to be on a trip with OUR baby, I'm tearing up as a type this, a void that we always felt was more than fulfilled.  To see him look at things with amazement and enjoy feeling the sand and water on his toes... our cup runneth over!   


     

8 bytes:

Kelly said...

Glad y'all had a good time! I agree, vacation is definitely different with a baby...harder in some ways. But how fun is it to see their little eyes light up when they touch the sand or feel the water? Nothing better!

Jos said...

Awh, that sounds like so much fun!!! I can't wait to take a vacation with Stells.

Fiona said...

Thanks for sharing all of your tips for vacationing with baby!! :) It sounds/looks like you had a great time. We just got back from a trip with our little one and it was certainly a lot more work but soooo nice to go on a trip as our little family of 3!

Stephanie said...

Good idea of introducing new toys in the car. And we didn't have a portable DVD player on our trip, but I think the next time we go somewhere, Chloe will be old enough that it will entertain her for a while. I agree traveling with a baby is much different, especially spending so much time in your room, but it was such a surreal thing knowing this time last year I was at the lake pregnant with Chloe, and this year she got to experience it with us. So cool!

Bridget said...

Vacation is a lot of work! I'm glad your went well for the most part! I can't believe you didn't have any toys on the way home- yikes!

AS said...

Hmmm, these are good tips. We're going away in a month and I'd figured we wouldn't bring a pack n'play or the equivalent since Mira sleeps with us, but you're making me think twice. We're flying and taking trains though, so what do you think? Is it worth it enough to fly and train with it?

Heather said...

Awww! What a sweet post and some great tips!!!

annie said...

We are headed to the beach on Saturday. I laughed out loud when I called it "vacation." vacation happens when the baby is in bed and mommy starts drinking wine from a box!