Sunday, June 19, 2011

Random-ness

We have been failing in the furbaby parent department. Our Gentle Giant (below) has had a persistent skin problem on his chest area since he was a puppy.  We haven't ignored it but we've just kept it under control with meds, regular vet checks and daily brushing.  The groomer told us last week those things are just not giving him enough relief:[  So, our precious big boy (in addition to what we've already been doing) is now on a gluten free diet (btw- Rachel Ray dry dog food is good stuff), topped with yogurt and omega oils and a nightly spray on his chest of diluted apple cider vinegar and white vinegar in the ears.  He stinks, but it already seems to be helping! 

I wanted to respond to the question about the fetal doppler.  I bought the Contec pocket fetal doppler with LCD that sells on Amazon from $58-80 depending on whether or not it has the LCD screen.  There's another one advertised (Hi Bebe) for $99 and it has more reviews.  The one I bought works fine as you can gather from my last post.  I use lotion instead of any gel and (so far) our little one stays in about the same place so the heartbeat has been fairly easy to find.  I'm looking forward to feeling movement and this tool gives me some reassurance until that happens, or while I'm waiting on the next ultrasound.  I recommend one... the ob/gyn said it's very safe and I can use it as much as I want.  I've pulled it out for my nieces, the grandparents and just about anyone who comes through our front door!  

Book recommendation- I have a very good friend- thank you LP- who has passed on some great baby items to me along with a book, The Girlfriends Guide to Pregnancy.  I highly recommend this book when you get your BFP!  The author (a former play.boy centerfold, btw) tried for over three years to conceive so she also knows that it's just not that easy.  She writes from the perspective of what your girlfriends would tell you about pregnancy rather than your doctor, and it's hilarious but full of good information at the same time.  There are short statements throughout the book for DH to read too!

Speaking of DH, I didn't get him a gift as a father-to-be but I hope that we have many, many years ahead to celebrate.  If this is a baby boy, it's my hope that he turns out to be a mini-PC in every possible way (well... with two exceptions... eating habits and computer preference)!  The world would be better place with another man just like him!  :]

Have a great week blog friends!!!

10 bytes:

China Doll said...

Oh, your Gentle Giant is sooo gorgeous! :)

Bridget said...

What a cutie your furbaby is!! My dog gets very itchy during the summer and we have tried everything- I wonder if gluten free is the way to go? I might have to check that out!

Baby Hopes said...

I love your dog!!! Hope he's feeling better soon!

Mrs. Lydon said...

hey when did you start to use the doppler and how early could you get to that heartbeat??

Krista said...

What a beautiful sweet doggie...gentle giants are my favorite!!

luckyme said...

What a gorgeous dog! I have just found your blog and look forward to following via ILCW x

Heather said...

Poor puppy! Good job you're doing taking care of him.

Congrats on how well things are going. Keep us updated with continued good news.

Marianne said...

Your doggie is a cutie!

Sharyn said...

Just enjoyed browsing your blog. Many congratulations and best wishes on your pregnancy.

If you haven't come across it yet, look for a book called The Long Awaited Stork. It's a guide to parenting after infertility; it covers issues like how to talk to your kids about IVF and even how not to make you and your child insane by constantly hovering.

I hope you have a really boring pregnancy. Everyone who's had to endure infertility deserves it.

Oak said...

Oh my gosh! I just clicked over to your blog from a comment on Josey's page and the first thing I saw was the photo of your newf. My heart MELTED. I grew up with an amazing newf and have always wanted another one. Siiiigh. I will now follow and live vicariously through you. By the way, they're amazing with kiddos. :)