Thursday, December 29, 2011

First Two Weeks

Wow, life with a newborn.  There is not much time around here to be on a Mac or PC!  We have been trying to settle into a new normal the past two weeks.  We're working through two issues right now... a case of thrush and some slightly bloody stools.  We've been to the doctor and have medicine for the thrush (and I'm taking a probiotic and not drinking any milk) and, because our little guy is otherwise very healthy and not running a fever, we just have to monitor his poopy diapers right now.  Life changes when you have poopy diaper pictures on your phone... and send them to people for second opinions!  Both issues are possibly connected to the strong antibiotics that our baby had in the NICU.  Although I do want to remember the details of this precious time and everyone says "it goes by too fast" it's also very scary.  Your mommy and daddy love you very much sweet Hampton and wouldn't hurt you for the world!  We're trying to make every decision with your best interests at heart! 

Question:  Does anyone have any advice for thrush or have you had the experience of blood in the stools?  

Things I want to remember...
How you sleep with both hands in tight fists by your face, one by your chin and the other under your chin
All of your funny faces and stretches when waking up
When taking a bottle, you make these cute little noises... eh, eh, ehhhhhh
After breastfeeding, you smack your lips
You are so happy with a full tummy
You start out in the pack-n-play at night but end up next to mommy, we both get our best sleep that way
Your "little" cry sounds like a car idling
Your "big" cry sounds like a laugh
The sweetest dimple on your right cheek
The way you open your mouth in a crooked way and stretch your neck when hungry... like a baby bird
How strong you are!  I think you're going to follow your daddy on the mountain bike trails as soon as those strong little legs will reach the pedals!
The wide open, curious blue eyes that love to look in a mirror and stare at the fish on the swing and the Baby Einstein aquarium.  
The laughs & shouts from mommy & daddy getting pee'd and poop'ed on, you'll think that's funny too one day but now you just stare at us like "get on with it and change my diaper!"  (By the way, we are getting better!)  Dad has been the laundry King!  He is extremely anal about using Shout and getting everything to the wash ASAP.  
You are a little guy with some major gas... I feel so bad when you're straining but the doctor said that he would be very rich if he could solve baby gas issues... so mommy will just have to be careful about what I eat!  

I just keep thinking, is this for real?  This is our baby... a baby that very much has stolen our hearts and changed our lives in a way we never thought possible.  

 Special Moments




10 bytes:

Anonymous said...

love it!! Glad things are going well :)

Baby Hopes said...

Oh my word, the picture of you two brought tears!!! I love it!!!

Jos said...

Great idea to write down all the little things!

Carlia said...

this post just melted my heart! so sweet. love the pic, too. what a beautiful sight and a beautiful life. i am so happy for you!

Bridget said...

Oh how sweet! I love the picture! The first two weeks are quite the adjustment, I remember how crazy I felt! I hope you are just loving it!

China Doll said...

Such a lovely post... Things to remember and such a great photo :) xx

Just Us & A Miracle Baby too! said...

I think we might have thrush too... heading to the doctor this morning. I have no tips or insight :(
LOVE the idea about things to remember. I am totally stealing this idea!

Mrs. Lydon said...

LOVE THE LIST

Courtney said...

I remember thinking I'd never in my life been so interested in poop in my entire life!! I don't have firsthand experience with thrush, but someone I know had a stubborn case and she needed to treat it with gentian violet? I also know someone who dealt with bloody stool - she cut out dairy and soy for four months until she saw a GI dr who told her it was two fissures. I guess they are common in bf babies be their poop is so watery (more pressure needed to get it out).

foxy said...

It is shocking to me the force that expels the poop in our little guy. I swear it shot out and sprayed two feet across the changing table yesterday mid diaper change. And then tonight It came shooting out right into my hand as I was positioning a new diaper. I shrieked and daddy came running to see what was wrong!

I need to start my own written list of all the things to remember... it is running in my head, but until i get it on paper it won't be safe :)