Monday, December 12, 2011

Update... NICU... prayers please

Blog friends, please say a prayer for our sweet little Hampton. 
(Typing as fast as I can version because we're in survival mode and every minute spent with our sweet boy is the only way we're holding it  together.)  We spent all day Saturday rejoicing with family and friends.  There is no way our little one didn't feel the love because of all the hugs, happy tears, smiles and baby adoring going on!  Throughout the day he would spit up in a choking kind of way and the nurses said it was perfectly normal because he could have swallowed some amniotic fluid/mucous.  We learned to use the little suction tool and all seemed well.  Later that night, PC and I had about two hours before the next feeding and one of the nurses said they could watch him sleep for a couple of hours in the nursery since the spitting up was a worry and we could get a couple hours of sleep.  We said that would be okay.  One and a half hours later, the nurse comes in and says that Hampton spit up and it was green and she called someone from the NICU to come look at it and he was downstairs being checked out.  Two things here- #1- PC and I would have not known that was cause for concern- sorry but we're amateurs here-and we would have thought 'mucous.'  So, kind've a blessing in disguise that he was in the nursery when it happened.  #2- You do not wake up any mother- and especially an IVF mother- and tell her that her baby is "down there being checked out."  Within the next hour (when we could sort everything out...this is around 2 in the morning btw...) our baby had been hooked up to an IV, a chest x-ray was taken and he was on antibiotics.  I called our ob/gyn and some people really got in trouble for taking these steps without the parents knowing... you girls could understand my anger, but I had to move past that quickly... Hampton needed me.  So- green spit up is a cause for concern because it could indicate a bowel blockage, infection or (best case scenario) just a sensitive tummy.  However, you have to rule out blockage/infection.  His bloodwork that morning came back with a high white blood cell count which could mean #1- he's fighting infection or #2- (other best case scenario) sometimes it's elevated just from the birth experience and adjusting to their new world.  He has been down there ever since and my heart is outside my chest right now, it's wherever he is.  I'm down there as much as possible, only coming to our room for meals and meds and a few short naps when a grandma or dad is with him (dad's on duty right now and that's a different post- thank you God for my sweet PC).  When I try to nap, I smell him on my hand and that's when I cry myself to sleep.  He is doing so good... a little trooper meeting every goal... but they are not letting him go yet in order to totally rule out infection and watch him after more feedings to check for anymore suspicious color in the spit up.  NICU is "they do not go until we're 100% sure he's a well baby."  With newborns, every doctor & nurse has explained to me that timing is everything and pre-prevention and being overly cautious is what keeps babies from a more serious illness.  I want them to be overly cautious but I WANT HIM HOME.  AND YOU ALL KNOW HOW BAD I WANT HIM HOME.  So please send some good thoughts or prayers for our sweet little guy our way... for this face... and this mama that has waited on this for almost six years.  Thank you blog family!  Love to you all!  Back to my baby boy!

30 bytes:

waiting and wishing said...

Praying for your little family. Hang in there, mama.

Courtney said...

This must be incredibly hard on you! But the good news it that in all likelihood he will be alright because he's in GREAT hands. NICU nurses are amazing (and so is modern medicine right?!)! I pray that time goes by quickly for you and he'll be home in with you in no time! I promise you there will be plenty of time for cuddles once he's better! Stay strong Mama!

Mrs. Lydon said...

I am right there with you. Wanting them home and wanting them to be sure they are okay to be home...such a tug of war in our hearts. My prayers are with you PC and baby Hampton.

3 Bed, 2 Bath, 1 Baby said...

Hang in there baby MacPc!

Baby Hopes said...

Oh my goodness... this just tears my heart out for you. Sending love and prayers your way. Get well, soon, sweet little Hampton!!! Your Mama and Daddy want you home!!!

Bridget said...

I'm so sorry Mac, this has to be so hard I can't even imagine. I am so glad this was caught and little Hampton is getting all the help he needs. You are all in my prayers- hugs friend!!

Stephanie said...

Sending positive thoughts and prayers your way so that you may take your sweet healthy baby home soon!

Dana said...

PRAYING right NOW for Hampton!! Praying for you and the hubs to have strength through this very difficult time and that SOON you will have him in your arms and home!!!! Love YOU! HUGS!!!!

Anonymous said...

Hang in there hun. He is going to be as perfect as your always dreamt :). Thankfully they do take everything seriously and are keeping tight watch over him. Sending hugs and prayers and strength.

marilyn said...

oh my his is Beautiful! And I am not just saying that! Beautiful! I am so sorry you have this in front of you. I will be thinking positive thoughts for you....and your family..and especially your precious little boy.

E and R said...

So sorry to read this - you and your family are in my prayers - get well soon little Hampton!!!

Heather said...

Praying for little Hampton and you as well.

K said...

Our thoughts are with your family, little Hampton is in good hands, those doctors and nurses will ensure he is safe and healthy and then you can take him home! *hugs*

Anonymous said...

Oy vey. How stressful. He is gorgeous and big prayers coming your way!

Kerrik said...

Hang in there sweetie, I'm sure it is just the NICU being overly cautious and he will be home real soon. Sending warm, healing thoughts to little Hampton.

luckyme said...

He's gorgeous, so sorry you're going through this. Sending you prayers and positive thoughts, hope the three of you will be home soon x

Anonymous said...

he is in such good hands I am sure. Praying for you all and I know you will all be home soon!

Holly said...

I am sending lots of prayers your way.

Marianne said...

oh how hard!!! sending my sweet love to hampton.

Nink said...

I will lift him up in my prayers. It sounds like the nurses and doctors are taking very good care of him. I'm so sorry you're having to go through this, but once he's all better and discharged from the NICU, you will forget all about this tough time. Much love. P.S. He's a total cutie! Love that pic of him!

Becky said...

Oh my goodness...I am sending prayers your way! What a sweet little face!

China Doll said...

Sending you all my love and positive thoughts... he's so gorgeous! Hope you get to take him home very, very soon xx

Carlia said...

your beautiful boy will definitely be in my thoughts and prayers. i'm sure everything will be ok and he will be home with you very soon!

Anonymous said...

Praying for sweet Baby Hampton and by the way he is absolutely adorable!

Jos said...

UGh, I read this last night on my phone while I was feeding Stella and the tears just started flowing. Hang in there honey - sending every prayer and positive vibe your way for little Hampton. I'm sure things will turn out just fine, but I'm sure things are scary as hell in the meantime. You have a lot of support coming your way though!!

manymanymoons said...

What a rollercoaster your body and emotions have been on. I'll be praying for the little guy. Even though you must have been terrified, I just know it will all work out and you will both be home in no time at all.

~ebc~ said...

thinking of you both and sweet Hampton. Hope to read a good news update in the very very near future!

Sarah said...

Praying for your beautiful little man! :)

Just Us & A Miracle Baby too! said...

congrats on your beautiful baby boy and lots of thoughts and prayers !!!as a new mom i know i would be feeling the same way! thinking of you!

Cori said...

Praying for you and your precious baby boy! Hoping for a great news update very soon!