Wednesday, December 26, 2012

I hate CIO.

The getting to sleep routine is fine.  Going to sleep in the crib for an hour or two is fine.  We let him cry for about 10 minutes the first night and 15 minutes the next night, but on the third night when I went in and wiped snot off of his face & changed his shirt from tears, I claimed failure.  What's worse, now he won't take good naps in the crib since we did some CIO:[  I don't judge anyone who went the CIO route, I've read and heard enough to know that it does work and there are benefits for mom, dad and baby, but I can't do it.  Never did I see us co-sleeping but it has happened and now I've made my bed and have to lay in it.  I used to dream about having these kinds of problems and they are indeed still sweet dreams:] 


7 bytes:

E and R said...

I so could have written this post. We are in the same situation - never would have seen us co-sleeping, but here we are! I agree CIO sucks and we haven't been able to do it either!

Shannon said...

Hi! New follower here! :)

I also have a toddler. (14 months old).

We were blessed without having to CIO but have had our fair share of parenting hurdles as well.

Looking forward to following along!

Sarah said...

Oh girl. I am RIGHT THERE WITH YA. I am actually going to do a post about it this week. But I hate hate hate it. She does sleep in her crib, but wakes up crying A LOT. I would even try co-sleeping but she hates our bed for some reason! haha Last night I tried cio again and basically said forget this. She was practically hyperventilating. My thought is yes, my sleep sucks, but I waited 4 years for this precious angel and if she needs me to cuddle her a few times a night, then so be it! And I dont get the whole go back in and pat them every few minutes..spacing the time out...she just gets happy if I come to pat her and say its ok..and then freaks out more when I leave the room again. It's a crazy circle! I know it works for some and that's fantastic, but for me right now...not a fan!

Jos said...

Ugh, we could NOT do CIO either (tried about as much as you did, and I couldn't stand it), but with lots of hard work with routine and helping her to learn to fall asleep on her own, we are probably 5/7 nights having her sleep from 8pm-7am, and 2/7 she ends up in bed with us from maybe 5-7, plus she takes 1.5-2 hr naps in her crib twice a day. Good luck!

Maybe check out the comments here from my archives:
http://mycheapversionoftherapy.com/tag/sleep/

There were a lot of great resources in there.

Also, she routinely cries about 2-5 minutes now when we lay her down (probably half the times?), and then she's asleep. I think it's part of how she settles herself now.

Christina said...

My hubs tries to do CIO, but if I'm around, I just can't stand more than just a few minutes. I nurse her to sleep and then transfer her to the crib. She stays there until she wakes up to eat then sleeps with us the rest of the night.

I think whatever works for all parties is the best options!

He's a cute little guy, so definitely sweet dreams for ya'll!

Baby Hopes said...

We are right there with you!!! We co-sleep and we just can't do CIO with her. She does nap in her crab a few times during the day, and she'll start out in her crib after I rock her to sleep at night. I think it takes time and work for every family to find the right balance for them. We'll get more serious about transitioning her to her own room through the night eventually. For now, I love the snuggles and we all seem to sleep better than what we do when we've tried to stretch her time in the crib out longer. :)

Anonymous said...

I hate CIO too!!