Sunday, February 3, 2013

Holding on to Baby Stuff

I am struggling with what to do with baby stuff that we no longer need or use.  The dilemma is that I don't have a good reason to hold on to anything except for the sentimental value.  I have passed along some clothing and toys to co-workers and friends but there are some other-bigger or newer- things that I could sell and be using that extra money towards things we need now.  I can put everything in storage... but why?  One of my best friends gave us a pack-n-play that she had stored in her attic.  I was excited to use it because I had great memories of her kids using it.  But when we went to put it together, squirrels had gotten into the netting and ruined it:[  It sounds like I know what I want to do but when it comes to actually doing it, that's a different story.  I have totes full of LB's clothes from this first year because I just can't get rid of them... yet.  I have one small tote of maternity clothing because I can't do that either... just yet.  But, take the walker for example.  LB loved it and so did we.  But we haven't used it in weeks and I look at it taking up space and think about how another little one could be enjoying it.  That is when my "can't let go" struggle sets in!  We have such great memories of him cruising around in this walker.
If we were not done with ART and TTC then I would hang on to everything and hope that it would be used by a sibling.  But that chapter is closed so I need to separate my emotions and let go of some baby stuff.  I'm predicting that's easier said than done...     

6 bytes:

Megan said...

I think what you're going through makes such sense. Is there any way that you can hold on to a few sentimental objects just until you're ready? I realize that these items take up space but I think it's okay to take your time too. Your fertility journey was a ride (and a symbol of your boy and his walker is dear). Another idea is to see if there is a family you could "adopt" that has a little one and could financially or emotionally benefit from your gifts. The joy on a new Mom's face and the excitement of another new little one using your sons things may help... Whatever you decide be nice to yourself, you deserve it! :-)

Anonymous said...

This is really hard. I hang onto things FOREVER and likely will after we're done having kids. I say take your time... You can always get rid of it but you can never get it back.

Mrs Red said...

Idk how crafty you are but I saw on Pinterest that someone made a quilt out of first year clothes. This could be a way for you to hold onto the memories in a useful way. The bigger items, I get holding onto them but when you are ready you can sell or otherwise get rid of them. Do it in your time. I doubt you will become a hoarder so grieve and celebrate your baby growing up and then do what you feel is right. Good luck! I know that day will be emotional

Stephanie said...

I went through the same thing the first time I started packing up Chloe's clothes. I couldn't believe how many of them I was attached to, and hung on to in case we had another baby and it happened to be a girl. Now that we know we are having a boy (and done after him) I am more likely to sell clothes, but I still think it will be a little rough. And I hope once #2 goes through the cycle of using all the toys, I will be ready to get rid of those also, because we sure don't have the extra room to be storing that stuff in our house. I agree, maybe holding on to a few sentimental things - if you have room, you can save them for future grand kids!!

Fiona said...

I know this must be so tough to get rid of things that have so many great memories :( I haven't gotten rid of much yet but know it will be tough when we eventually do. Usually I am all about getting rid of things since I hate 'stuff' and clutter... but not when it comes to baby stuff!! :( If I were you I would pick out some favourite small toys and clothing and put them into a special box that you can add things to over the next few years and give it to LB when he is older. I know I loved looking through my old baby items once I was much older so I am sure he would love those keepsakes too. And even if not for him, you will enjoy looking at them, feeling them, reminiscing in many years from now when having a little baby seems like a distant memory.

I am planning a box now that I am going to put a few objects in from each year that were especially special to us and Alidia. For example, for year 1 I am putting her first outfit, a couple other favourite outfits, her favourite pacifier that she no longer uses, and a couple favourite first toys that she is no longer interested in.

Unfortunately I think big things are best being sold or given away as someone can definitely use them and create their own wonderful memories using them, instead of wasting away in an attic or basement.

Good luck. I know it is going to be tough :( You can do it!!

annie said...

I've been holding onto things under the guise of "well, if we have another boy" and even if we don't, it's been a great excuse to not get rid of everything. When that time comes I think it will be very hard.

Is there anyway you could give it to friends or family? That might make it easier. Good luck!