Thursday, March 14, 2013

Sick Baby & Spots on Ears... Freaking Out!

 A week ago, LB ran his first fever of 100-103 during the night and we took him to the pedi the next morning (Friday).  He said it was an ear infection in his right ear and gave us amoxicillin and told us to do ibuprofen for the fever. Over the weekend, we saw improvement but Monday afternoon and through the night the high fever was back despite the ibuprofen.  We went back to the pedi on Tuesday morning and they tested for flu.  Thankfully that was negative but they changed the antibiotic to a stronger one.  Tuesday night his nose became really runny to the point of having to sleep (as much as he could anyway) sitting up to manage it.  I called the dr again on Wednesday and they called in claritin for that.  Today, he did not run a fever until after lunch and he was a little more active but we still have a nasty runny nose (not clear today either).  His pee diapers are a little less in amount but still changing about the same number (drinking lots of water/juice but not as much milk) and his poops are watery but the dr told us that would probably happen because of the antibiotics. So, he made some improvements today, but then I saw a dark purple spot in his right ear and a lighter one in his left ear.  I am freaking out!  Has anyone experienced anything like this?  PC told me not to G.oogle it and of course I did and I'm really freaking out.  Could it be something like a busted blood vessel from all the snot-sucking?  Poor little guy... PC and I are so ready for this to be gone and for him to get relief.  Breaking our hearts!    
 


3 bytes:

kkasun said...

We didn't have spots, but we had 4 months of infections, so I totally get it.

Nothing is worst than constantly going to the doctor, not knowing what is going on, your baby being sick, and second guessing everything. I hope it all gets sorted out quickly.

Fiona said...

I am so sorry you are going through this right now. We are feeling similar in our house right now. Since Lids started daycare, she her first bad cold, then two days of feeling okay (still coughing), and then now really bad diarrhea, fever and so unhappy. I hate it so much. And we don't have any doctors here who I trust with her AT ALL, but luckily my Dad (a GP in Canada) arrives tonight wish is going to make me feel sooo much better. It really really sucks having sick little ones! :( I hope LB feels better very soon. I am not sure about the purple spots but hope it is nothing at all to worry about and just part of the sickness that will go away soon.

Stephanie said...

Poor little guy. Sounds like he can't catch a break. I haven't had experience with the purple spots, so I'm no help there other than to say hang in there. Hopefully you'll have warmer weather soon and with it will come some healthy months for all of you.