Sunday, October 16, 2011

First baby shower

This weekend, PC and I experienced our first baby shower.  Add it to the surreal moments list!

Every month, we gather at PC's grandmother's house for a dinner.  She passed away four years ago and PC's dad and aunt bought the house with the main purpose being to do one of the last things that she said... "y'all take care of each other."  The house is still filled with her children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren so it couldn't have been a better place to celebrate a new family member on the way.  She would have been proud:]

The dinner menu for the evening was lots of yummy sandwiches and appetizers.  The chocolate cake was sinful good!  I loved that it was the regular family get-together so PC was right by my side.  I hate attention so it helped so much to share the spotlight... even though the real spotlight is wiggling his way under my ribs right now:]  We received so many sweet and thoughtful gifts!  We had a 90 year old friend of the family to come who made us a crocheted blue blanket and told PC that was "to take to the hospital and if anyone sees a mistake, tell them it was made by a 90 year old woman who doesn't wear glasses!"  lol.  Will do.  He got a hooded towel that says "little miracle."  True words.  He got three tubs of butt paste and one container of boogie wipes, keeping it real!  Stuff to make our home safe, cute outfits, blankets, towels, wash cloths, soaps, lotion, diapers, shoes, gift cards and an ounce of silver Liberty Coin for his birth year.  Cool.  It was special and fun but overwhelming too.

My SIL did so much of the planning and I want to do something special for her.  I was really excited to send everyone home with a thank you gift from us.  It was a bag of popcorn and glass soda with a ribbon tied around it that said "About to POP.  Thank you for celebrating with us."  I saw the popcorn idea at another shower and added the soda pop to it and thought they turned out cute (will try to post pics).  I also gave everyone a candle with a poem about saying a prayer for the baby... an idea that came from pin.terest.  My niece calls this baby "Fred."  Before we knew it was a boy, she called him bigbird, then he became Fred.  I have no idea how it's stuck this long, but, since we don't have a name, everyone asks how Fred is doing.  My FIL put FRED on wooden letters on the fridge.  Funny.  We better get serious about a name or Fred is going to stick... and that's not one on our list!




The next baby shower will be hosted by my family & friends this weekend and will be held at our house, no stress there.  It will be small and casual, which is great with me.  This is all so sweet but I really don't need the gifts, I need this little boy, that.is.all.  Eight more weeks... then it's time for the REAL gift!

12 bytes:

One Day said...

What an amazing day! I love all of the little details that made it so personal and special! Can't wait to see some pics of your little boy soon :)

Cori said...

Looks like so much fun!!! The About to Pop gifts are too cute!!!

Bridget said...

What a great shower! I love your ideas for thank you gifts, so cute! You are in the home stretch!

A m a n d a said...

What a beautiful and thoughtful shower. Sounds like you were both spoiled, which is great because you deserve it!

manymanymoons said...

I am so glad you had someone to share the spotlight. I don't like being the center of attention at those kinds of things either. It sounds like the perfect (if not surreal) day!

Krista said...

Yay for showers! Love the POP idea, and looks like you got some good stuff! I think I'm going to take your advice and try the breathe right strips....thanks for letting me know!

Jos said...

Sounds like an awesome day with family and friends! FRED. Lol...

Baby Hopes said...

Such a fun shower! I love when showers are held for couples so that the fathers can be a part of it too! What a great thank you gift idea! I think I'm going to use that! :)

Anonymous said...

You deserved a perfect shower.....glad you enjoyred it!

Carlia said...

that's too funny about your niece calling him fred! LOL congrats on having your first shower. so exciting! of course the baby is the most important thing, but enjoy all the loot. after all, he deserves it! ;)

Heather said...

Congratulations! Hope the remaining pregnancy time is relaxing! Enjoy! I can't wait to hear about your new arrival!

Anonymous said...

so glad you got a celebration that you deserve!!! what cute thank you gifts!!!!!