Thursday, February 9, 2012

Grandma is stealing breastmilk!

My mother is in love obsessed with her grandson.  Her world revolves around him right now and she talks non-stop about him.  I am thankful for everything she did for him before he got here and I know I can leave him with her and she is a Grandma Grizzly about keeping him safe and happy.  But, in my most southern accent, "Y'all, she is stealing my frozen breastmilk supply!"  I am not kidding.  I showed her how to thaw out bags if he needed a "snack" (after I've already left a bottle) and now I have to hide bags in our big freezer.  When I step out the door she tries her best to pork this baby up and give him how much she thinks he needs to be eating.  She gives him the B.ig M.ac, F.ries and the M.ilkshake!  And, our baby missed the memo about knowing to stop eating when he's full!  I have tried to leave reading materials and educate her about breastfeeding, but she doesn't get it.  It was not a 70's thing to do!  I've tried to tell her how much more filling breastmilk is and how too much could be rough on his digestive system.  She fed him 4 oz bottles of formula in the NICU and, in her mind, he's not getting enough... thus, grandma steals the breastmilk.  I know this because I've counted the bags before I leave and find the empty ones down in the trash... gah!  Heaven help us when this child can eat solids.... which grandma can absolutely not believe happens around six months.  I have a feeling he will have already had the taste of cereal before his parents give it to him.
I'm really typing all of this with a suppressed smile.  I am grateful he has a breastmilk stealing grandma.
His grandma is a breast cancer survivor, a double green thumb who wants to pass the gift to him, the life of the party and I have no doubt that they will be best friends.  So this is a battle I choose not to fight.  However, I will keep hiding the stash:] 

5 bytes:

Jos said...

Oooh - you are handling that way better than I would. I would lose my mind if gma was overriding my directions. Stella is eating two 4oz bottles in the morning and two 4oz bottles in the afternoon (and I'm feeding her before work, during lunch, and after work)... so her intake has definitely gone up, but I'm pumping what she needs (about 8oz after first feeding and 4 oz during the mid-morning and 4oz during the mid-afternoon) so I'm guessing that's about right. Hoping not to dip into my stash though!

Kelly said...

Ha! What is it with grandma's? My mother in law asks if Blakely got enough to eat EVERY time I finish nursing her! It drives me bonkers. I don't say anything though because I know she means well. She just doesn't understand breastfeeding at all and she's all over the cereal thing already as well. I also don't say anything because I don't want her to stop doing my grocery shopping! I know...it's awesome :))

Stephanie said...

That is the sweetest picture! I've had a few instances when my dad kind of overrides what I want for Chloe, but it hasn't been too big of a deal for me to step up and say something. I know when the time comes though that I need to put my foot down, I'll have to just suck it up and do it. Grandparents always say "I raised you and you turned out fine" or "I've done this once or twice" but they don't seem to take into consideration that we know our children best, and what worked for them when they were raising kids may not work as well now.

Courtney said...

So sweet, but poor baby! I get an upset belly when I overeat :) Maybe remind her how big his belly is?? and also explain that bf-ing has a built in mechanism to tell them him when he's full/satiated (watery foremilk then fatty hindmilk signals brain that they are full). Because this doesn't happen with a bottle, bottle-fed babies tend to overeat. - This is also why bf babies have different growth charts than FF babies!!

Eh, screw it. Like most g-mas she probably won't care anyways ;)

Bridget said...

oh grandparents!! I had a close friend tell me, "grandparents always lie about what happens when you're gone" I think this is hilarious and mostly true. Hopefully the extra snacking won't be too big a problem for sweet baby boy :)