Friday, February 3, 2012

Breastfeeding Q&A (without the A!)

I think we've mastered the latch.  We're rid of the thrush.  We're pretty much on a schedule of every 2-3 hours unless we hit a growth spurt.  But inquiring minds want to know...

Where does my milk go at 11:30 a.m.?  Because it's usually absent for that feeding so we spend about an hour staring at the bb's with the two of us getting really frustrated. 

How much should I get when I pump?  Because I pump twice a day and get about 2-3 ounces (more or less) total.  That is not going to feed a baby all day long when I return to work.  Any supply, fresh or frozen, will be gone fast at this rate!

How much does an almost 8 week old eat?  He's a peeing, pooping, growing machine... all good signs right?   

How do I keep up with which side we should be on?  Because we have tried...
 The safety pin- but I tossed that after getting stuck a couple of times in my sleep deprived state of mind.
Old garage sale stickers- but they kept falling off.  (P.S.- PC made an offer but that business is closed until further notice!)
Writing on the breast pad, which I thought was pretty clever until it became really inconvenient when there wasn't a pen around!
The Bobby (aka Booby) Pin- most fashionable but most uncomfortable. 

Really, we just try one out and if it's not getting the job done, we go to the other side.  

No, I'm not doing this perfectly, but he's still getting a Happy Meal:]  





14 bytes:

3 Bed, 2 Bath, 1 Baby said...

I put the safety pin right on my bra strap, not the shirt. (and used a small one too :) )

waiting and wishing said...

No personal experience here, but all the BF'ing mamas I know use some sort of rubber bracelet to remember which side.

Mrs. Loquacious said...

I hadn't even thought about indicating the breast with an accessory until you mentioned it. Thanks! :)

Stephanie said...

No advice here, but I think the sticker (and PC's offer) is hilarious! I hadn't thought about indicating a side either. I'll have to remember that if we ever have another baby and are able to BF.

Kelly said...

I put one of my hair bands around my wrist and then just switched it back and forth...this was the best thing that worked for me. I also pumped after every feeding for a few weeks and that increased my supply enough to be able to start storing more milk. Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any questions...not that I'm an expert by any means :)

Kelly said...

Also, if Blakely would eat on only one side I would pump the other. When I did this I would get about an ounce or two at that age. Babies are much more efficient than pumps so you won't get as much from the pump...or at least that is what I read. Also, does he have one stretch where he goes longer between feedings? If so, then you can pump about an hour after you feed him and store that milk. These are the things that worked for me :)

You are doing a great job!

China Doll said...

There's an App for that! Our Doula/lactation consultant has us keep detailed records of all feeds and diapers so I use the What to Expect Tracker app :)

Bridget said...

when I was breastfeeding I kept track with the app on my phone, super handy!

Just Us & A Miracle Baby too! said...

I keep track by leaving the last boob hanging out of my shirt so when I wake up in the middle of the night I know by which one is out (lol!)

A few tips on pumping, don't look at amount you are getting till you are done. It's completely mental. The LC I worked with had me cover up the bottles with a receiving blanket. She said pump in the mornings because thats when your hormone levels are highest and you will get the most. And then pump after 2 evening feeds (granted I'm not building up a stash... you might have to pump during the day as well.)

If you are pumping after he eats, expect to get less. If you pump off the opposite boob he just ate on you'll get a little more. And also remember, he gets more then what you pump. His suck is stronger and your body naturally knows the difference. A baby that age eats anywhere from 1.5oz-3oz. I freeze in 2oz increments.

Thats all I got for now! :)

Jos said...

I use the hair tie on the wrist trick, but then it often ends up in my hair. Oops.

Pump in the morning either an hour before or hour after his first feeding - your milk supply is highest then.

Does your pump have the dual speed thing? It should be short, fast strokes to induce letdown, then longer, stronger ones the rest of the session. I used to get about 3 ounces total in the morning pumping session - now I'm getting around 6! (and 3-4 oz each time I pump later in the day now that I'm back at work)

My friend Nico said this:
"When the milk starts slowing down again, use your thumb or fingers to basically press milk down the milk ducts - so starting from the outside of your breast, press/squeeze towards the middle. May be a little trickier for you than it was for me as your bbs are an eensy bit bigger. lol. After the milk has pretty much come to a stop, turn the pump back to the letdown setting again for another 1-2 min (or at least the time it took for you to get the first letdown), and see if you can get a second. I used to get at least another 1-2oz using this trick. You prob don't want to do that until she's nursing about three hours apart, though, and then pump maybe 1h after she eats, so you have another 2h to build up more milk for her to eat again."

Good luck - you're doing great!

marilyn said...

I am there with you. I plan in writing a post about my breastfeeding challenges. It has been hard this first month. Alexander did not latch until week 3 and milk dud not come in until day 14!

Mrs. Lydon said...

I always offer both so that it doesnt really matter to remember which one i last fed.
He used to be pretty pooped after one until I tried changing him in between breasts and that woke him up long enough to feed a bit on the other.
I also started taking supplements and always pumped the opposite breast if he only fed on one. I also pump after his two morning feeds... all that has left me getting about 10oz pumped a day. Always here if you have any questions or want to vent. kdelongpchef@gmail.com

You are doing GREAT!!! And he is precious!!! As long as his diapers are wet and he is gaining you are Set!

Mrs. Lydon said...

I def want to reccomend More Milk Special Blend liquid. It tastes like raisin brand but I am sure it helped my supply.

Courtney said...

I use an elastic as well. Anywhere from .5oz to 2oz is normal in a pumping session after a feed.

As long as you have plenty of wet/poop diapers he's getting enough. I think your boobs only feeling full in the morning is normal. The longer you breastfeed the less you'll feel your milk. My boobs are totally soft and normal now at all times, and it's been like that since he was about 2-3 months. Don't get scared! There is milk in there!