Sunday, January 29, 2012

Newborn Stuff

Recently, I've commented on a couple of moms-to-be posts about things I would recommend for their registry.  I've decided to create a list here so that I can reference the link to respond to future posts for moms-to-be who ask for the advice.  If there is something any of you have that you can't live without, please leave it in the comments and we'll share from our experiences!

However, first I should say that every baby is different so what works for us and what our baby likes may not work for another sweet little personality-of-their-own bundle of joy:] 

If I had it to do over again, I would have included more of the practical items on the registry, like:
Diapers (all sizes, we prefer Huggies)
Wipes
Vaseline
Whatever you choose for rash treatment (we love some stuff called calazime that we get at a pharmacy- explosive poops and still have not had any diaper rash!!!  Knock on wood.)
Bath wash & lotions
Germ-x pumps for the changing table
Burp cloths or cheap packs of receiving blankets or cloth diapers (these can handle all kinds of baby  messes and if you get enough of them, you will not have a hard time throwing away one that gets covered in poo... or two... or three)
Storage containers- I didn't put anything like this on the registry but now I'm buying them to store diapers, newborn clothes we want to keep, etc.
Board books (actually, these are good to find and just wipe down from consignment sales or passed along from friends)
Baby clothes hangers
Changing table covers, pack-n-play sheets and crib sheets (seems like they are in the wash non-stop)
Baby detergent

I wouldn't put any kind of clothes, onesies, stuffed animals or blankets on the list... these seem to be the things that everyone wanted to buy.  We got four piggy banks!  

Big items we love:
AngelCare Monitor
Swing (one of the best yardsale purchases yet... although the kind that plug in seem pretty nice as we've had to change the batteries already)
Vibrating/bouncy chair
Fisher Price Rock & Play Sleeper
Pack-n-Play
Chicco Keyfit 30 travel system
Chicco caddy  (This has been money well spent!  It weighs 11 lbs and our car seat clicks into it.  I can handle it by myself and there is storage room underneath for shopping or it also works well in restaurants so we're not constantly worried about putting him on top of the -dirty- upside down high chair!)

The Caddy- also comes in handy for riding around the house when you're not sure what else to do!
 There are a lot of things he has to get a little bigger for and I can't comment on (like a jumperoo or bumbo seat or toys) but some things that have been useful:
Hamper
Clock (helpful when pumping if my phone is not nearby)
Lamp
Night Light!!!
Glider rocker and some type of pillow for support if breastfeeding!!!
Towels & wash cloths
Some kind of mirror... our little guy loves to look in a mirror while he's being changed!
Some kind of musical aquarium or crib attachment
Bathtub with the mesh part on top
Diaper Genie & refills (PC's favorite because it's crazy how the poopy diaper smell disappears once you push it through the top!)
A keepsake or safe deposit box for all of those little "treasures" from the first year

"Little things" that I've found we've needed two or more for home, car and/or diaper bag:
Thermometer (hate the digital, it always tells us he has a fever... we like the regular underarm thermometer)
Nose syringe (the one from the hospital was great and it busted...have yet to find another good one for our very stuffy nose boy)
Nail clippers
Shades for the car
Backseat mirrors for the car
Mat for diaper changing (although most diaper bags come with one)
More Germ-x
And, as one of my girlfriends calls it... a Hooter Hider :]


It's hard to say about pacifiers, bottles and such... our baby has a preference for the round soothie pacifiers so I've given the others away.  Any bottles so far have been small disposable bottles.  We do use the drying rack frequently for pump parts and the disposable bottles.  

Things that our little guy just doesn't like (yet?)
Tummy time mat
Boppy pillow (which a lot of moms say is a must)
Play mat

Breastfeeding items would be a whole other post that I'm unable to do because we're still figuring that out day by day! 

Crazy the amount of STUFF that comes with a baby.  I'm trying to picture the car on our first vacation!  Really, all they need is food, diapers & love right? 

 

12 bytes:

Courtney said...

Haha, love the photo of him indoors in the stroller! Oh, the memories! HAHA. I keep meaning to write a list like this as well! I've often said that my registry would be completely different now than it was before I had Logan!

BTW: Angelcare = piece of mind. Couldn't live without it!

This Foxy Mama said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Baby Hopes said...

These lists are amazing... I'm keeping notes!!! :) Thank you SO MUCH!!!

Francie said...

Thanks - this will definitely come in handy.

Regarding the nasal aspirator, my brother has a newborn and swears by the "snot sucker!" (google it or look it up on amazon)

AS said...

My favorite item is a baby carrier (I use the Bjorn Active). No idea what I'd do without it (I even use it in the house sometimes). I had to have the My Brest Friend for feeding at first (it's a big muscle adjustment!), but didn't need it long. We've liked the Diapor Dekor and the Vicks rectal thermometer. Another cool thing is the JJ Cole Urban Bundle Me for the car seat (cold climate). We did have to buy side-snap shirts, which I prefer to onesies. Oh, and I cut disposable underpads (chux) in half and use on the changing table. Way easier than washing the pad after every accident and not too expensive.

Jos said...

Great list! I've been working on one myself. :)

Miss Mac said...

Great sharing! I forgot about our sound machine we use at night for white noise, 24.99 from target. Bought a used baby Bjorn but LO likes his arms free. Gonna look up the snot sucker and some other things right now. Thanks!!!

Bridget said...

Great list Mac! I hope your little one starts to like the play mat soon- Emily loves hers! We got the baby einstein around the world mat- it's awesome! And we LOVE the fisher price luv u zoo swing- it's a must!

Mrs. Loquacious said...

The exersaucer was a great place for my nephew to practice his standing skills, and we're planning on getting the 3-in-1 exersaucer for our little one.

Also, the Baby Snug (think Bumbo) and a bathtub are other items we've already picked up. Though we've tried to keep things at a minimum, we keep adding more to baby's collection of "stuff."!

Stephanie said...

Great list! I'm not sure if your monitor is video or not, but we absolutely love ours that we have.

Sarah said...

Agree about the AngelCare monitor. It's just so nice knowing that sensor is with him daily. Your son is just adorable!

foxy said...

the big exercise ball has been a lifesaver for us. it is one of the only ways we can calm Q down - by bouncing on it... for hours on end.

white noise is a must in our house too. we have iphone apps on our phones and use them constantly. and a hair dryer at the changing table, for white noise and to dry his bum.

swaddle wraps - Q fights it at first, but sometimes will not settle down unless he is swaddled,

and i've given up on the changing table pads because they get dirty so fast. we've been using old towels instead.

great list!