Saturday, January 14, 2012

Crayons on the wall... already?

Not quite.  But we do have a big mess on our hands, literally! 

If you haven't had to deal with the lovely thrush, consider yourself very lucky!  If you have, you probably know about genetian violet.  It's purple topical stuff that I put on my boobs and it ends up in my baby's mouth... but it is said to be one of the most effective treatments of thrush.  We want to get rid of this nasty thrush because there is no freezing or storing breastmilk while it's active and because it causes white spots in my baby's mouth.
Anywho...
this morning PC took the baby for the  6 a.m. diaper change and he started yelling.  I jumped up and yelled "is the baby okay?"  He said "yes, but help!"  Someone (me)- who has a big case of baby brain (if it's any kind of excuse) left the lid open on the genetian violet and then someone else (PC- who really can't be blamed but is just a little bit guilty by association) accidently knocked it over.  A full bottle.  Of stuff that comes with Internet warnings like this: 
"Gentian violet is a powerful staining agent. Stains can be removed, but it's important to act quickly. The longer that nasty stuff sets, the harder it will be to remove."
Understatement.  PC worked quickly to save the hardwood while I made a sad attempt to wipe the cabinets, while listening to a screaming baby with a dirty diaper.  Finally I said "I've got to take care of the baby" and the rest was left to PC.  Good news?  He saved the hardwood!  Bad news?  He's out buying paint right now for the built-ins.  We tried rubbing alcohol and the other Internet suggestion was Vodka, but we've been fresh out of that for nine months now!  
One day it will be funny.  But not today.  Today, we are sick of PURPLE!     
Here...

and here...

and here...
 And I would post a picture of PC's purple feet but he is presently out buying paint.  He took the cabinet door to the store to match up the paint and I'm wondering if he's having to explain to the sales guy that it is a purple stain that his wife uses to paint her nipples.

Okay, maybe we will go ahead and laugh!!!

9 bytes:

Bridget said...

Oh no you poor thing! That looks like some awful stuff, I hope it's helping the little one!

Stephanie said...

Oh I wish it was funny now so you could laugh it off but I'm sure that's not how you wanted to start your weekend! That stuff looks intense!

Anonymous said...

maybe you will really laugh about it in the future, lol!

thanks for all of the great advice! I am going to hit you up with another ? . . .Random question?

Do you have a waterproof mattress pad for for a pack n play? We just put ours together and I can't imagine just putting a sheet on it if baby's diaper leaks (we are planning on using the bassinet portion for her the first month of so) Any ideas/experience?

Jos said...

Oh my gosh, this is so hysterical and sad all at once! Sorry you're having to deal with thrush. :(

Baby Hopes said...

Oh my goodness! I'm so sorry about the thrush and the unfortunately dye job on your cabinets! At the same time, I was laughing so hard I was almost crying. Oh, the moments...

Jen said...

Oh goodness! You have a lot going on. I hope the trush clears up and you can get rid of all of that violet without too much trouble!

Elphaba said...

Oh my goodness, what a mess! We have been using the purple stuff so far and now I'm hoping we don't have to. Good luck getting rid of it--the purple and the thrush!

Heather said...

I am so sorry!!! That stuff is very staining!!! I hope the thrush clears up (although I'm sure it will as that stuff is potent) and everything looks less purple soon.

Just Us & A Miracle Baby too! said...

I also have thrush now! We started the Gentian violet... but his face stays stained and my nipples don't. Is this what happened to you? I'm not sure if this is normal!!