Sunday, October 28, 2012

The Fun and the Not So Fun

I took great measures to make sure the grocery store balloon was secure onto the cart but didn't think about it coming loose from the balloon end!  PC and I were too busy choosing bagels and yogurt to see it happen or the look on LB's face, which I'm sure would have been pretty funny.   
This pulling up business has me stressed out!  LB has had some rough tumbles lately.  He has started pulling up on lots of things that do not support his weight and, if we're not within arm's reach, down he goes.  I try to act calm and cool with each fall but I am not cut out to be an actress!  There is a reason it's called hard wood floors, my poor baby's head:[   
 
Diapering and changing clothes has become quite the challenge these days.  LB flip flops around all over the place and sometimes I give up and off goes a (happy) little naked LB.  I asked my sitter and MIL about this behavior and they have told him a stern "no" and the little stinker is an angel for them.  So, I tried that.  Evidently I don't speak the right kind of "no" language.  Whew!

Am I the only one in blog land with a 10 1/2 month old who has never slept through the night?  We keep waiting... and waiting...

Lately I have been trying to organize LB's pictures from his first year to give them to a high school student who is interested in video to turn them into a DVD/slideshow for Christmas.  I am so excited about it but going back through the maternity pics to the birth to these precious past months has been emotional to say the least.  Especially when I found songs I wanted to go with each category... Mi.racle by C.eline D.ion and The D.ay B.efore Y.ou by Rascal Flatts... gah, instead of a box of popcorn I will need a box of Kleenex to actually watch the thing when it's done!

Then I start thinking about Thanksgiving and a ONE year old and Christmas... Blessed and I've said it here time and time again but I mean it... beyond grateful!  Even with the lack of sleep:] 

9 bytes:

Fiona said...

Ahhh diaper changes and getting into pajamas have become near impossible around here. Alidia just wiggles and often screams in attempts to make it as hard as possible for me!!! :P She is also going through the same thing with pulling up on things that don't support her, like chairs without people sitting in them or even her play table on the hard floor. Poor thing actually has a bruise on her head at this moment from these tumbles.

Well it is great to hear from you and see that little cutie of yours, even if from the back!! ;)

That video sounds like it will be something very special!

Marianne said...

Yeah my 10.5 month old has slept thru the night exactly twice. When people say their 8 week old sleeps through the night I want to punch them.

E and R said...

Diaper changes (and into pajamas) are a trick around here as well! She just seems to hate it! If you find a good way to make it stop, let me know!!!
While Lexi is just over 9 months, we are also lacking in the sleeping all through the night department...I wish I had a solution for this one :)

3 Bed, 2 Bath, 1 Baby said...

Our mommies in our group call that spin the alligator roll.

I've tried telling Ethan "no" but then he just laughs at me. I'm obviously dreading teen years. But, his spinning is always at it's quickest when there is poop involved.

We also have had several bumped heads with his pulling up. It's gotten MARGINALLY better with the gripper slippers so he's not slipping, but he still falls backward from time to time. I feel SOOOOO bad!

Stephanie said...

Diaper changes got hard for us too about this time. Try giving him something to hold to distract him, that usually works for us.

And the new-found independence. It makes me so nervous too. I don't know what Chloe's deal is, but she seems to be getting faster and clumsier with each day and I feel like I'm going to have no hair left after pulling it all out watching her tumble.

What a great idea of having a student put together a video for you. I bet it will be fantastic!

Jos said...

Stella had a few weeks where she fell non-stop from pulling up on things, but suddenly her core was stronger and she supported her own weight more and it just kind of stopped. Hang in there!

You are NOT the only Momma waiting for the baby to sleep through the night!

Diaper changes - Stella LOVES holding onto things, so the sunscreen bottle is usually in her hands now during clothing/diaper changes.

Christina said...

I feel ya. Emma bonked her head for a week and then got it. Now she's just super clumsy and is falling and tipping over a lot.

As for the Rolling. Yeah. It's hard to strap a diaper on a moving target let alone from behind on a moving target.

Emma has "slept through the night" once. A stretch from 10-5. I can't say that I felt more rested that night as I hadn't slept more than 3hr stints in about 10m :) Apparently, 90% of babies STTN after their 1st bday.

Baby Hopes said...

What a cutie - no sleep and squirming during changes and all! Firecracker is a back archer. She calls my bluff as well. I give her a stern "no..." and get big eyes followed by the hugest grin ever.

Courtney said...

Oh, it's so sad how quickly the first year goes by.

We still struggle with diaper changes at 16 months, so I think you may be doomed ;) My neighbor gave me a tip though - put a sticker on his hand and he'll focus on that while you get him changed. We save this trick for the really awful changes... but it works!

Matthew didn't sleep through the night until 10 months, and now he's an awesome sleeper! We had to do Ferber... no way around it. I tried absolutely everything before going there. I should have started with Ferber.