Friday, July 20, 2012

Poop, it sometimes doesn't happen

Warning:  A post about poop, or lack thereof.   
Spoiler:  We now have a regular little pooper:] 

We have several baby "issues" that are a work in progress (sleep, teething, rashes, etc).  But, for now, we are winning in the battle against constipation (knock on wood).

The problem:  About a week into solids, LB started pooping about every 3 days.  Day 3 was miserable, for him and for us.  Very ill baby who would strain and whimper and look at us like "do something."  :[  (Sh)It usually happened in the afternoon so we would put him on the changing table, move his legs in a "pedaling" motion and spend about 10-15 minutes there and this poor baby worked hard!

After a call to the pedi and some crazy advice from grandma, here is what got things err... moving... around here.

Diet change- eliminated rice and bananas.  I found one website that said to remember no BRAT- banana, rice, apples, toast.  Switched to oatmeal.

Pedi-lax glycerin suppositories- this was a recommendation from the pedi on those "day 3's" when LB was straining so hard.  We used these grudgingly and sparingly but they worked instantly and provided him instant relief.  They come 6 to a box and I would say that we used about 8-10 total over those first few weeks of working on the issues.  We did not want him to become dependent on them so they were a last resort.

Prunes & apple prune juice- Daily.  One small jar (or half) of the prunes and 3-4 ounces of watered down juice.

And last, you know grandma has to have a say about it.  So she told me to pull out his little toilet (that she bought way too early because of her grand potty training plans) and just sit him on it when we started to see the strained look.

I'll be darn.  For 21 days straight, he has sit on that potty, leaned on me, and pooped like a champ.  PC would have a fit if I put the picture in its entirety here and it is a strange but pretty cute sight.  All he needs now is a bathroom reader lol! 






 
 

9 bytes:

Kelly said...

Oh my goodness! Sitting on the potty...so so cute! Glad things are moving along well ;)

Jos said...

AHH! LOVE the pic.

We just started pureed prunes (she HATES them) and that apple/prune juice (also not a huge fan, but i'll try watering it down) this past week. Good idea about the potty. Stella finally pooped yesterday after 4.5 days. NOT GOOD. Poor baby. Thanks for the the tips!

Francie said...

Omg, that's hilarious!! Amazing that it worked. Glad to see things are working out!

Stephanie said...

Oh my gosh!! Look at him! Who would have thought, only grandmas. I might have to steal this idea and start potty training my girl! :) Sorry to hear he's struggling though. I have bananas on my counter that I planned to give to Chloe, now I'm thinking twice about it.

E and R said...

How funny! Love that it worked though! Glad he is feeling better :)

waiting and wishing said...

When I started reading this my very first thought was of my own mom who always offers up this little tid-bit of advice, and just like for you, it ALWAYS works!

kkasun said...

Just 1/4 teaspoon of Milk of Magnesia in A's bottle would work for us, but it sounds like you have it under control. Constipation is the worst!

Fiona said...

Oh my gosh... this is so cute!!! Good idea Grandma! :) So great to hear the potty has been working and the little guy is pooping once more!

Bridget said...

crap! I just started giving Emily toast, I better re-think that! And I wouldn't think apples would cause constipation, thanks for the heads up! Emily loves prunes so we eat those regularly around here! That potty picture is hilarious!!