Tuesday, July 3, 2012

What do I see?

When LB was just a couple of weeks old, we noticed what we thought was a scratch.  At his 2 month check-up, the pedi said it could be a scratch or could be a birthmark.  We were confused because he didn't have it "at birth" but we learned that it could be a hemangioma, a collection of blood vessels under the skin.  At the 4 month check-up it was definitely diagnosed as a hemangioma.  It will grow during his first 1-2 years, then "rest," then slowly regress... leaving no scar or indication that it was ever there.  LB has the kind (so far) that will stay closer to the skin while others turn a deeper bruise-like color and form a knot.  We did check into medical options but they are invasive and leave scars... a no brainer for us, we did our research and we will let it do its thing unless it ends up closer to his eye. I do not even consider using photo.shop on his pictures... it is part of him, it is part of his birth story.  The people who are around him the most- we don't even "see" it anymore.  He's just our sweet LB.      
  
Other people look at LB differently.  It's okay!  I understand that it stands out.  I understand that people want to ask but are not sure what to ask.  Sometimes I just start explaining, sometimes I don't.  Kids are great- they just come out and say "baby have boo boo" and I tell them "it doesn't hurt, baby is okay and it will go away" and kids are happy with that.  Love kids.  What I don't understand and frankly what hurts is when a person is getting ready to say "he's a cutie/sweetie/etc" but they stop... and it is obvious.  All mamas think their baby is the cutest, sweetest thing...I don't need anyone to say it... I am just taken aback that his hemangioma makes people standoff-ish.  He's just a baby with a bump!  And I would take him with big bumps, little bumps, red bumps, blue bumps...  didn't mean to sound Dr. S.euss here but you get this took-a-long-time-so-thankful-IVF-worked-I-will-keep-him mama's point! 
 
It does make me think.  When I see a child who has some kind of scar or birthmark, do I stare or do I smile?  I hope that I can always say that I smile and see a precious gift.  When I see a child running from his or her parents or shouting, do I think the parents need to have better control or do I have compassion knowing they may have a child with autism or an emotional behavior disorder?  I hope that I can have compassion and see a precious gift. 

This is from the heart and I appreciate everyone listening.  My baby's bump will go away.  Some are not so lucky and would gladly trade a hemangioma for what their baby has to go through.

I am beyond grateful. Blessed beyond measure.
  I see my precious gift in this child from head to toe, hemangioma, slobber and all:]  





  


10 bytes:

Fiona said...

Wow, I can't believe anyone (okay I've lived in this world long enough to kind of believe it with some of the people out there) would hesitate to say what an adorable little guy he is just because of something so small! I for one agree with you that he is absolutely gorgeous!!! :) You have certainly made the right decision to just let it to its thing and not do anything surgical to remove it. Like you said, it is a part of him and that makes it special!

E and R said...

People can just be cruel.
He is absolutely adorable - bump and all :)

Marianne said...

My daughter has two - one on her belly button and one behind her ear. They are no big deal! But I understand how it must be tough having one on the face. You are absolutely doing the right thing not getting it removed!!! It is barely noticeable and he is beautiful :-)

Bridget said...

People stare at Emily's helmet all the time, it's annoying for sure. And you're right after awhile, we don't even see the helmet anymore. Your little man is absolutely adorable and anyone who would hesitate to say that is an ass!!

Mrs. Loquacious said...

He's a cutie! I'd definitely let him date Baby L one day ;)

Jos said...

This is definitely one of those situations where we could take a lesson from little kids! I'm sorry to hear that some adults are so rude. :( He is a good lookin' kid for sure!

Sarah said...

My Samantha has a huge one at the base of her neck. The not so fun kind that is big, bulky and is a bruise color. And it had starting ulcerating and causing her pain, but we think its on the mend now. Your boy is so cute! Love those eyes!

Francie said...

He is a beautiful baby! It's just part of his charm. People are idiots.

Brandi said...

He is beautiful and like the others have said, I would just ignore ignorant people. I find that since having a precious miracle I smile at all of God's children, disabilities or imperfections, doesn't matter. I witnessed so many babies in the NICU left there because of their imperfections, that I would have done anything to let those sweet babies know they were loved.

kkasun said...

My daughter has a very large one on her ribcage area. We are fortunate that it isn't in a super noticeable spot, but hers has grown our quite a bit (probably about 3/4 of an inch). Kids either think it is a boo boo, but I have heard that it is spilled ketchup too!

He is adorable and how do you see anything but those beautiful eyes when you look at him anyway???