Saturday, November 24, 2012

A little formula venting

This is what you see when you open our pantry door. 
When I was nursing, one of those silver cans lasted us a whole month or longer for just supplementing with a night feeding!  Now that we are completely on formula, we go through at least two a week- 27.99 a can.  I don't know why, but I became obsessed with keeping them a few weeks ago.  Maybe I am hoping for some great organizational idea that is p.interest worthy.  Any ideas?  Whatever the reason, this stuff is expensive and I feel for those who have had to use this particular formula the entire first year!  It also drives me crazy how far down the purple scoop is buried!  I keep the old one to use until I can dig down to the new one.   
Happy that we have a growing, healthy little boy but I sure do hope the transition to whole milk soon is a smooth one... so does our budget!   

6 bytes:

Fiona said...

Oh wow, I had no idea formula was so expensive!! :/ I hope you can find a fun idea for those empty tins. And also hope he has a smooth transition to whole milk after his first birthday so you don't have to be spending so much on formula each month... and don't overflow your pantry with tins! ;)

Sarah said...

I also hate how the scoops are buried so deep in the can! ha! It's like searching for a prize in a cereal box, but not as much fun!

Jos said...

This is honestly a HUGE part of my motivation to make it to a year of BFing - I can't imagine having to pay for formula!! Yikes. I hope he switches to milk easily.

Baby Hopes said...

Oh my goodness! I'm so sorry! I know how hard you struggled to establish bfing and keep it going. The cost just adds insult to injury. :\ Hope he's able to transition smoothly!

annie said...

I started transitioning to milk about 2 weeks before he turned one by mixing 1/4 milk into the formula for a week and then 1/2 for a week and then all milk. It wasn't smooth when we switched to all milk and it now requires a juice chaser, but you can start soon and cut down on costs and tins! win-win!

ps - there is something really creative lurking in all those tins. I know it will come to you and be pinterest worthy!

3 Bed, 2 Bath, 1 Baby said...

We've been on formula since 8 weeks... man it's costly.... but now we are also getting to the one year mark!

Also, loving the new photo of you three!