Saturday, May 14, 2011

A Food Story

I just had to chronicle this strange and almost comical love/hate relationship with food in the first trimester.   I must admit that when I used to hear women comment that they just "had to have so and so" I was mentally writing that off as an exaggeration, fabrication or a combination of those two.  I was oh.so.wrong!  Warning:  Don't read further if you're in the first trimester and have full m/s (so sorry).  This post probably won't help! 
My food story starts with weeks 4-6 that were filled with
ginger ale
lemon drops
all things salty & sour (especially chips & olives)
pop tarts & bagels
pizza
beef jerky
combos
lots of Mexican food
and more meat than veggies.  Some fruits.  Adult prenatal vitamins.
Cross all of that out in weeks 6-8 with the exception of still preferring the salty and sour and then it was
cheese grits
cheese
biscuits
fish sandwiches & hushpuppies
salad
hamburgers
sour popsicles
sprite
and gum, ice cube peppermint to be exact.  Different fruit than weeks 4-6.  Flinstones chewables.
Now I'm at week 9 and thus begins a new food love affair that includes
fruity gum
gravy & biscuit
fruit with cottage cheese
noodles & pasta
soup
peanut butter & jelly sandwiches and I haven't gotten a pack of those baby carrots yet but I fully intend on doing so this weekend.
Again, my reason for posting is because I think it's so funny how it really is true that I don't control what I eat right now, my mind/body/stomach controls me!  I'm not going to force myself to eat something that just the thought of it brings on the gag reflex, so I eat whatever feels right at that time.  My problem is that the crossed off list keeps growing!  I'm hoping there is a veggie phase coming up soon!  Seriously, I am so thankful that I've had (thus far, knock on wood) mild nausea that comes on and off through the day (mostly before it's time to eat and at night) but without throwing up.  I read blogs of women who have at home IV's to help with their nutrition or those who have to nibble here and there just trying to keep something down (thus the warning at the top of this post).  I truly believe that this process is one of such miracle magnitude that it's a good thing for the body to be in control of this love/hate relationship with food.  Whatever the reason, I'm so happy to be along for the ride!

5 bytes:

foxy said...

Great post, these food nuances sure are interesting to figure out. I do feel so so lucky that I've been able to keep everything down and for the most part find foods that work on any given day.I think I am most surprised by the aversions, since I'd always thought of craving. My diet is so much more controlled by avoiding the foods that don't sound good.

Good job with the prenatals. I skipped mine for two nights earlier this bc I let sure that if I took them they would come right back up again. I need to make a trip to the store for my trusty childrens chewable which I took until we ran out and the pharmacy had sent us some free prenatal with all of our medication.

Did I read somewhere that week 8 is when the nausea inducing hormones peak? That should mean that we are on the home stretch of this part of the journey.

Bridget said...

My cravings were so different week to week also! Glad you are keeping it down!

Marianne said...

SO glad you're feeling good!

Heather said...

Congratulations! Just gettting caught up on your posts to see you are expecting. I don't remember my cravings changing week over week, but more overall pregnancy cravings and aversions. Keep up the good work!

Jos said...

I hear ya on the weird food things. I'll have to document mine as well. :)