Saturday, May 28, 2011

Peace and a unique gift

PC and I finally got to a place of peace yesterday where we felt good about sharing our news with co-workers, friends and extended family.  At my place of work, pregnancy announcements are made on the e-mail system and the subject is always "great news."  I bet I've read 20+ of those since I've worked at the same place (with lots of women) over the past 10 years and I never thought there would be one with my name beside it.  It was a surreal moment to hit that "send" button.  The comments I have gotten back have been those of genuine happiness for us and I will always cherish each response.  In the e-mail, I gave credit to modern medicine as well as prayers for our blessing on the way because I want my story to be out there for anyone who may need to hear it.  I've already had two people to share their struggles with me and I'm telling them I am there to listen or to be a support in any way possible.  Why do so many suffer in silence and have to feel so alone?  1 in 8... that's a lot of people who need each other!  And, yes, I will always be 1 in 8 because a pregnancy does not erase everything it took to get to this point.  It just says "I'm getting closer to beating you IF!"    
Back to our peace...it came during yesterday's ultrasound.  I was so worried all morning because of my week without many symptoms.  This little one put on quite a show that said to me "Stop worrying so much, I'm having a good time in here."  Good time indeed.  He/she bounced off the top of it's roof, landed cross legged, repeated, then put his/her little baby butt on the big screen.  Here's a pic of the first bounce...
PC and I are on the reserved, quiet side and I'm already getting the impression we have a little attention-seeker growing in there!  It is such a wonderful feeling to walk away from a good ultrasound.  It keeps the worries at bay for a few days anyway. 
We visited my mom today and she said she had something to give us that she had been storing for two years.  I had no clue what it could be.  It turned out to be this solid wood, beautifully painted rocking horse with big teeth, bulging eyes and real human hair.  Y'all- we tried our best to be positive and excited for my mom but I have been so tickled ever since from something that looks like it might give a child nightmares and/or result in an ER trip!  I will have to show you all but (for now) we are leaving it at my mom's house because we didn't have enough room in our car to haul it back.  I'm not trying to come across as ungrateful at all.  The details and woodwork are amazing!  Mom estimates that it is worth nearly $300!  But it looks like it belongs in a museum rather than a nursery!  (If by some chance my mom has come across this blog and has never told me... I love you dearly and the scary rocker horse will probably turn out to be a big hit, it's just the initial shock of something so unique!)  I really believe one of two things will happen... our child will ride that horse like it's the real thing while we hold our breath that it stays on the ground or it will be terrified of it and we'll say "if you don't clean your room, I'll go get Mr. Horse" and the child will have a spotless room.  (Sorry if this is a major parenting mistake, but my friend got amazing results from calling up Chuck-e-Cheese when her child was being defiant!)  Either way, I think scary rocker horse is going to end up in a lot of memories!    

8 bytes:

China Doll said...

Amazing u/s picture.. so beautiful! I'm so happy for you both.. Sounds like the rocking horse might have the same effect that clown dolls had on me - still afraid of them!

Nink said...

Your little guy has grown so much since your last ultrasound!!!! Amazing! I'm so anxious to see my little peanut in a week. I wish we could have ultrasounds EVERY week! :) And yes, that is a very interesting gift. Real human hair? That's a bit creepy. It's, of course, the thought that counts. :)

foxy said...

we had our first ob appt on Wednesday and now we will be on the monthly schedule. But already, I want to call and see if we can at least get a doppler appt in two weeks. I really don't think I can wait a month to know that everything is still okay in there. We did get an us at that appt, but only because I insisted. I love that your dr understands how important it is for us ivf patients to see that baby growing in there.

We often get presents from our moms that are so well intentioned, but so not what we want to bring into our home. I have a feeling thought that this rocker just might become a favorite thing in your house... Kids seem to sense the love and intention in gifts like that and just might see this special toy as a special connection with grandma ;) here's hoping!

then again, maybe it will be a special toy that lives at grandma's house!

marilyn said...

Haha!!! That is a great parenting tip! I love it! Hmmm.. The does sound really scary... Awww.. Wait.. You are how many weeks now- 10? Can you say on your nexr post how weeks you are? I am so excited! I have been following you and I feel so blessed to be part of such an exciting time in your life! And I get to see your baby grow! I love this:) how do you feel about bump pictures? I have a friend who refuses.

Marianne said...

What an awesome ultrasound pic! I can't believe how it already looks like a baby LOL.

Baby Hopes said...

Your babe is beautiful!!! You had me rolling over the horse! :)

Heather said...

Too funny about the rocking horse! Thanks for the ultrasound pic! So so so happy for you!

Krista said...

So glad to see/read that everything is going well with the little! Yay!!!!
The rocking horse story is totally cracking me up...just FYI...I'll be mad if you don't post a pic of it, you know you have to do it now! HA!!!