Friday, April 8, 2011

Day after Beta #1

I appreciate each and every sweet comment from yesterday's news!  I plan on making the blog rounds this morning and I can't wait!  It was all I could do to type the short post because it was such an emotionally draining day.  Here's what went down, although you all already know the best part!

Sorry for all the details below but I want to document the special day here. 

On Wednesday afternoon, I sent the e-mail below to Nurse LLD and this was her response.  Love her!


Hi
Will call you ASAP after getting the results.  Lets think positive!

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, April 06, 2011 3:17 PM
Subject: tomorrow
If I don't see you in the morning, I'm having blood drawn for our beta at 7:30 a.m.  Will you please give me a call as soon as you get the labs?  I'm just about on the brink of going crazy through this wait! :]  However it turns out, thanks so much for all of your help the past several weeks. 

We left around 5:45 a.m. and I had my blood drawn by 7:35.  The lady that draws my blood asked if I did an HPT and I told her I just couldn't do it.  She said she thought that was good to wait but I was only the second one she had tested all week who didn't POAS.  I started questioning my decision, but it was too late at that point.  The "call" was going to be my answer.

We stopped by Chic-fil-a, which has become our "tradition" on early RE days and then I ran in Target to get some more vitamin water (yum, by the way!).  We were home by 10:30 a.m., PC left for work (I've had a few days off this week for spring break, woo hoo), and I fell asleep in the recliner until he came back by the house around 12:00.  Still no call.  I ate lunch,  started googling everything related to 12dp3dt and the phone rang a little after 1:00.  My heart was about to come out of my chest to see "Nurse LLD" on the screen even though it's the call I had been waiting on all day.

Me:  Hello
Nurse LLD:  Hi... M?
Me:  How are you?
Nurse LLD:  Good, and you?
Me:  Just waiting on your call.
Nurse LLD:  Well, are you ready for some good news?
Me:  (Getting so excited) I would love some good news!
Nurse LLD:  Well, you are pregnant.
Me:  Yay, Yay, Yay... I can't believe it!  What was my beta?
Nurse LLD:  It was 249.
Me:  That's a good number, right?
Nurse LLD:  Yes, that's good.
(We work out the details for coming back on Saturday for Beta #2)
Me:  Thank you so much!
Nurse LLD:  Congratulations!

I'm one of those people who saves all of my emotions somewhere inside and puts on a strong face until it gets to the point where those emotions just can't be contained... when I hung up the phone, I started crying almost 6 years worth of built up emotions!

So, I called PC but it was really hard to get the words out with the monsoon of tears and it sounded something like this:
Me:  H-e-y, I--I    j--j--u--s--t    g-g-o-t    t--h--e    c--c--a--l--l. 
PC:  It was negative.  It didn't work. 
Me:  No, I'm sorry, I can't stop crying.  It was good news.  We're pregnant.
PC:  (Silence)  Really? 
Me:  Oh, hold on Nurse LLD is calling me back. (Poor PC)

I thought, omg, she gave me the wrong information!  That's how guarded I am... but she forgot to remind me to continue the estrogen patches and PIO.... whew.

I go back to PC and tell him everything is good and hurry home!  Then, you can guess what I did next!  I P'dOAS and was still nervous that it wouldn't confirm what I had just been told.  It was a CVS brand test that clicked into place with a little window that, within a few minutes, said "Pregnant."  First ever BFP on an HPT!  I think I'm going to have to go buy more today and POAS all weekend!  :]

I somehow whipped out the blog post, took a shower, got the tears under control enough to go get my estrogen patches refilled and came back home minutes before PC.  We hugged and I asked if he was excited and he said he was dizzy:]  Well, I was hungry!  We went out to eat and we got to have conversations that we've never had... it was is a strange feeling!  Things like "I think this is my child with all the sour & salty I've been wanting to eat but I think this is your child because I sure am gassy all of a sudden."  And, after he told me it was too much trouble to bring a mattress into the living room, I said "I think the rules are you are supposed to be nicer to me than you have ever been right now!"  (I didn't say they were sweet conversations!) 

You all are the only ones who know our special news.  We told a few IRL people that we got a good report and things are going well.  Unless one of them has come across this blog, they really do not know how good the report was.  Believe me, if we get another good number on Saturday and we get a good report at the first ultrasound, it won't be long until we're shouting it to the world.  (But not on FB or "in your face" kind of way... IF has given me much time to think about what I would and would not do.)  The fact that it took modern medicine + prayers to get us here will never be a secret.  I have too many sisters here and IRL who need to hear that miracles can happen.  I realize that I'm not holding a baby in my arms right now and that would be the ultimate miracle, but a BFP after 5 years and 9 months of TTC, it feels pretty darn close to a miracle to me.    

I always talk about the hurdles and I realize there are some more big ones to get through in the coming weeks, but I want to enjoy living in the moment right now.  Thanks for allowing me to share it. 

22 bytes:

Jos said...

This post gave me shivers to read. I am SO freakin happy for you and PC right now. Wow. Enjoy every moment of this wonderful blessing. :)

Willow said...

I love that you POAS after you got your beta results ! I did the exact same thing, & it is so cool to finally see that second line! congrats again--so exciting!

Anonymous said...

Dude, I'm balling over here. It's exactly the way I want my "coming out" post to be. Oddly enough....once we do our upcoming FET, it'll be 5 years and 9 months of TTC.

manymanymoons said...

Living in the moment is the best thing you can do. Good for you!

waiting and wishing said...

So stinking happy for you guys. Enjoy every moment of this blessing, you've been waiting a very long time to get where you are!!

Elphaba said...

Wow, I'm just so excited for you! A BFP after five plus years of TTC is indeed something magical. Congrats!!

A m a n d a said...

I agree with Josey...got some major chills while reading this. You both deserved this so much, I was so happy to read about all the details of your magical day. Your happiness shines through your writing..I couldn't be more excited for you!!

A said...

Love all the details! Isn't it weird how all of a sudden you start thinking about the reality of your baby? Praying for a healthy pregnancy for you!

Baby Hopes said...

Love, love, love this. I was laughing and in tears all at the same time. So precious and exciting!!! Can't wait to hear more great betas!!!

Bridget said...

I got all teary when I read about your call to PC- I remember that so vividly in my case. I am so happy for you!!!

SJ said...

Congratulations! Hoping for a second great report!

Kristen said...

Congratulations! So very happy for you!

Marianne said...

I am so out of control thrilled for you right now - and what a great beta!!!!

Anonymous said...

so unbelievably happy for you and so great to hear about how your great news "went down" , lol, it gives me hope hope. can't wait to hear all about the rest of your journey!

pee on as many sticks as you want to!

Krista said...

That's a nice story sweetie...so glad you shared it with us. We are all so thrilled for you!!! Miracles DO happen!!!! XOXO!!!

Carlia said...

i'm still so unbelievably happy for you! i told my DH about your news (i talk about your blog and a few others that i really love to him all the time, so he knew exactly who you were) and he was so excited, because it gave him hope that it will happen for us, too. he is really anxious to get to the point where we can do IVF, especially now that he has seen it work for y'all. keep us updated! praying for HIGH numbers on saturday!

LC said...

Congratulations!!!! What a perfect day!

China Doll said...

Wonderful to read this post!! I will totally POAS over and over once we finally get our BFP too..(see - Your news has got me thinking all positive!)

Kerrik said...

What a wonderful story. I'm so happy for you guys!

Anonymous said...

CONGRATULATION!!!!

LeslieGail said...

I am sitting on my couch bawling my eyes out the way I do during a Hallmark commercial or at the end of a movie where the heroine finally accomplishes her goal! That is such awesome news! I love to see BFPs happen to such deserving people!

Stephanie said...

Congrats on your pregnancy news! I just found your blog through a fellow blogger - can't wait to follow along with your journey!