Thursday, January 10, 2013

separation anxiety is not cool

We have had a generally easygoing baby the first year who has adapted well to new surroundings or around new people.

 So, wth happened in month 13?!?

We have left LB in a couple of church nurseries only to check on him and find him crying to the point of catching his breath.  Not cool. 

When someone comes around these days that he doesn't recognize, he buries his head into mine or PC's shoulder and makes a "grrrr" noise.  Not cool, slightly embarrassing. 

He is happy in new places and situations... as long as no one speaks to him.  Mom and Dad are saying "Grrr!"

I have no idea what to do except hope this is a phase and get through it!


As a consequence, I am increasing his chores:]  




8 bytes:

3 Bed, 2 Bath, 1 Baby said...

I read an article (which I don't recall the source, how helpful is that?) about this.

I read that children have an engrained sense of danger of being away from their parents when they start to walk or be more mobile. It was a survival mechanism so babies didn't do too far from the parents and get eaten by lions.

Helpful? Maybe not, but also something that might get better soon?

Sarah said...

So funny, Samantha has started this random "grr" growl (demon) type noise. It's pretty funny at home..but in a store or something..kind of embarrassing..as I see people searching for some Holy Water to throw on her :) haha

Christina said...

Aww, poor little guy. It's like things reset when they reach diff developmental markers. Here's hoping he's back to his social butterfly self soon!

Also, I think he missed a spot. You might need to talk to him about the quality of his cleaning.

Jos said...

Hm... Stella has suddenly had a little of this going on as well. Weird. I hope it's just a short stage!!

Great pic. ;)

Stephanie said...

Chloe went through this phase too but luckily it passed pretty quickly. I hope that's the same in your case. I know she got better as soon as we'd leave the room though, so I'm sorry to hear that you'd peak in on him and still find him crying. Poor guy, that's sure to break a mom's heart.

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear he is going through this phase right now :( That must be tough..especially to come back and find him crying so much. Poor guy just wants to be with Mommy and Daddy. I am sure it will pass soon though. Hoping Alidia doesn't go though this but worried she will because she is always with me... like ALWAYS and has only ever had a babysitter when she has been asleep so she doesn't even know it.

Hope it passes soon for your little guy!!

Anonymous said...

We haven't experienced this, but my friends have and from their experience, it's short-lived. I hope LB decides soon that this is not cool :)

annie said...

What is it with kids and cleaning accessories?? The vacuum, the Swiffer, and the dustpan are way more fun around these parts than the 800 toys we have. Who knew!?

We are going through the same thing. It's a pain in the a$$ but it makes me feel kind of great when he wants me over everyone else.

ps - just added you to my blogroll. thought you were there, realized you weren't. Oops.