Tuesday, March 8, 2011

A Baby for Charlie *Dog Lovers*

There are 3 fur babies in Mac and PC World.  We love them all but this post is devoted to our big boy, Charlie the Newfoundland.  When we brought him home, he looked like this:
He is a bear cub turned 155 lb.+ BEAR!  You should see the looks and questions we get when we take him for rides or camping!  Charlie has a lot of special characteristics but I'd like to share two with you.  

#1- He adores children.  Newfoundlands are known for being exceptionally good with children to the point that they earned the nickname "the nanny dog."  In fact, "Nana" the dog guardian in Peter Pan was a Newfoundland.  You should see Charlie whenever my nieces or any other children visit him.  He is perfectly obedient and they instantly become his "masters."  It is so sweet.  So, among my desire to be a mother and for PC to be a dad... I want to have a baby for Charlie to have a best friend!

#2 The howl.  If Charlie hears a siren, he starts this strong howl that turns into a broken question mark towards the end.  It is SO funny.  He can wake me and PC up in the middle of the night with this howl and, it never fails, we burst out laughing.  Finally PC caught it on his phone so I'm sharing with you all, THE HOWL.  (Warning:  If you have a fur baby, chances are they will bark at hearing this!)  I hope it brings you a smile because, in this world of infertility, I can always count on Charlie for lots of smiles... sometimes he is my stress relief! 
 
Disclaimer:  Although he is near perfect in our eyes, he is also HIGH maintenance... shedding, drooling are just a couple of his other unique characteristics so we wouldn't recommend a Newfie for everyone! 

8 bytes:

Bridget said...

What a cutie!! The howl is hilarious!

Chrissy said...

I have the white version of your dog! I have a Great Pyr/St. Bernard mix (or as we have dubbed him, a Great Bernard). If he had it his way he would be a 150 pound lap dog. I love Newfies too, if we ever get a bigger yard I would love to adopt one (though our Basset Hound may kill us in our sleep if we do that). I have you and Charlie get a baby soon!

manymanymoons said...

What a cutie...looks like a big old teddy bear!

Krista said...

What an absolutely precious boy you have! I keep telling my mastiff that we are going to have brothers and sisters for him to play with SOON! He LOVES babies!!Having a dog brings so much joy to your life!

Carlia said...

adorable! he reminds me of the great pyrenees dogs we had growing up. SO sweet. awww, now i miss having a dog. :(

Baby Hopes said...

What a sweetheart!!!

China Doll said...

Gorgeous!

A m a n d a said...

Aw, I love big dogs like this. I find the biggest ones are the biggest babies :)

They definitely make IF easier to deal with...our Cora gets us through the hard times for sure. Love your blog!