Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Retrieval

First, PC's appointment or "deposit" went well yesterday.  The nurse asked if he would like some (XX rated) magazines or DVD's.   He said "no thank you" and she said "well, we have ourselves a pro!" Lol.  I'm hoping that self esteem booster gives the swimmers some more confidence as well.

I went back to the recovery area for prepping about 8:30 a.m.   The IV was the worst part of the whole procedure because it took two tries.  I got in my lovely gown, hair net and booties, gave PC a kiss and was off to the retrieval room.  Those weren't stirrups, they were massive leg holder contraptions!   I must have started looking a little nervous and Dr. S told the nurse to give me some of the relaxing meds.   In about 10 seconds, the room started getting fuzzy.  I do remember the last thing I said... omg. I was thinking it, but blame it on the drugs for making me say it out loud.  I remember saying "I'd like to order two boys, please. Thank you!"  Laughter and one "why." I started saying something about girls being so much drama and then I was out, good thing!  No offense here, I would adore a little girl... the meds were talking!

So, I woke up back in the same recovery room and PC said "five good eggs, everything is okay." I said, "five? That's it?"  (anxious looks)   He told me that the doctor was very pleased with the egg quality and that the follicles they came from were all greater than 14mm.  It still looks like the transfer will be Saturday.

This is not going to be a "woe is me" post about wanting more eggs although I can't help but have the fear about such smaller chances for fertilization.  Instead, I'm hoping that those five eggs are meeting PC's confident sperm right now and they know just what to do!  I'll call them the Fabulous Five!  That thought gives me hope and I'm going to hang on to it.  I will get the fertility report around lunch time tomorrow but I can't post until I get home from work since those computers have filters that block blogger (how dare they?)

In the mean time, I'm feeling good. Good enough to have some Chick-Fil-A on the way home and ice cream when I got home:] I continue to take antibiotics, medrol and have my first PIO shot tonight. Sis-in-law is coming back to do the first one and will teach PC how to do it.  (One of the sweet nurses drew some markers on my backside so that he can have a little GPS back there!) 

Thank you in advance for your thoughts and prayers for our Fab Five to become perfect little embryos. I appreciate every one of you and being able to share this experience here more than you can ever know!

24 bytes:

A m a n d a said...

Grow Fab Five, grow! (love the name) Can't wait for an update. Glad to hear everything went well :)

Krista said...

Sounds like the Fab Five are high quality and that's really ALL that matters! Can't wait to hear about your fert report which I KNOW is going to be fabulous! Take care of yourself!!

manymanymoons said...

I have high hopes for the fab five!! Nothing but positive thoughts coming your way. :)

tjboie said...

Congratulations on FIVE beautiful eggs, and with prayers, embies to be! Oh my word... true to form, you had me laughing all through this. I can't believe they offered PC XXX rated materials. I think Mech would about croak. I was in tears laughing so hard about ordering two boys. I love their responses and I can only imagine what it would have been like to be in that room. Kudos to the nurse for PC's GPS... if he's anything like Mech, he doesn't stop to ask for directions. That could be why, despite Mech's fascination with the needles, he's not been allowed an injection to date. ;) Wishing you all the very best. You definitely have my hopes and prayers headed your way!!! :)

Baby Hopes said...

Ahem... wrong account. ;)

Bridget said...

So glad you have 5 eggs to work with!! And I remember saying some crazy stuff before I was out too, gotta love those drugs!

A said...

So glad that you got 5 beauties! Praying for a great fert report :)

foxy said...

three cheers for the Fab Five!

glad to hear that you are feeling good!

Chrissy said...

Our situations are so similar hun, it makes me want to send you a great big cyber hug! I keeping everything crossed that your Fab Five turn into Five Fab Embryos!

Brandi said...

Just came across your blog from Waiting and Wishing. I recently went through IVF in December 2010 and I only had 6 eggs and I can tell you we were successful! Of the 6 we only had 2 fertilize and we transferred both! From those 2, I was pregnant with twins but lost one of the twins at 7 1/2 weeks. We now have one growing baby and I'm 18 weeks today! I have faith this will work for you! Prayers going your way!! I became a follower so I can keep up!

Suzy, Not a Fertile Myrtle said...

I love it, "I"ll take two boys please." It's always funny to hear about the things we say while we are on loopy pills!

Hoping those 5 eggs are awesome!

Kerrik said...

I also didn't realize our ER's were the same day. So glad your retrieval went smoothly, and that you are feeling good.

I loved the story, and I truly hope all 5 of your eggs fertilize beautifully.

P.S. I'm actually terrified to let my hubby do the PIO shot tonight, and I'm a little jealous that you have a trained professional on hand.

hopeisafourletterword said...

I am so jealous you are done already! I am glad everything went smoothly and I can't wait to hear the fert report. I bet your fab five will do amazing!

Aub said...

I don't know about you, but I found the leg cradles to be very comfy for the whole five minutes I was conscious! Yay for high quality 5!! You'll be PUPO soon. Get some rest!

ICLW 149

Carlia said...

five sounds great! i'll definitely be praying that they'll fertilize and grow. good luck!!!

Mel said...

Praying for you and your fab five!

Jen said...

Grow Fab Five, Grow! (and remember mom is right, Mac is better!) Glad it went well today. Can't wait for that report!

Blondie said...

Thinking of you and crossing all fingers!!

Macey said...

Just ran across your blog. I am sitting here with a hot pack on my tummy, I had my retrieval today too! I was joking about wanting 2 boys as well- pretty funny! Good luck during this crazy week- all it takes is one good one!

Mrs. Lydon said...

The Fab Five woohoo. Quality over Quantity !! Cant wait to hear how the transfer goes. I will be thinking and praying for you til then. HUGS Rest and Relax

Kristen said...

Congrats on the Fab Five and praying for good news for you today!

Tippy said...

i totally understand the feeling of wanting more. thinking of your 5 eggs and hoping they make some fantastic embryos!

One Day said...

I love it! FAB FIVE! Let us know when you get the fert report- I'm thinking very positive thoughts for your high quality eggs and your "non-XXX sperm"! :)

Anonymous said...

I love the name...'the fab five'!! I believe good things are happening in those lil petri dishes :) Rest up!